So yeah, I got a little behind in 2015 and didn't even do a Checking The Numbers for November, but never you threat little camper, those numbers will be included with this....... if that book actually came out in November. Anyway, like everyone of these I do, the previous issue's numbers are included. So like I say every time one of these go up, we will not be including digital first printed collections, Vertigo titles........ pretty much just whatever Weird Science considers the "main" DC Comics books will be on this........ and that's a lot of books so you should be able to find what you want here. It's 2016 and my resolution this year is to up my game a bit so with any luck I'll be able to get off my duff and put one of these up every month and prove that my will is as strong as a Green Lantern.......... resolutions are all about will power after all. Let's jump into this installment of Checking The Numbers and see how our favorite books are fairing. Let's check it out.
Title and Number Price Est. Sales Previous Issue Est. Sales
1. Dark Knight III: Master Race #2 $5.99 158,188 440,234
Even though I initially thought that releasing another sequel to the Dark Knight Returns was simply a cash grab by DC....... well, I still think that, but fans don't seem to care and keep gobbling up all they can get from the Miller-verse. Hopefully sales continue like this because 2016 needs to be a better year for our favorite comic company.
2. Batman/TMNT #1 $3.99 134,526
Never in my wildest dreams did I think that a team up like this would work as well as it has, but I'll refrain from the pinatas and RC Cola for right now until I see how the sales continue.
3. Batman #47 $3.99 127,201 106,989
Apparently all Batman needed was the Holiday Season and the choice meeting between an amnesiac Bruce Wayne and the Joker to get it's sales back in order....... But really, we know that people are just waiting to get their Batman back and this was the first issue to really show that bats are still in Bruce's belfry.
4. Harley’s Little Black Book #1 $4.99 92,266
I know that Harley is a beloved character by not just DC fans, but all comic book fans, but I have no idea how book after book featuring this character does so damn well. I love Harley, but her solo antics have been getting on my nerves for awhile now.
5. Justice League #47 $3.99 84,970 75,660
I don't know if everyone got a bunch of money for the holidays, but we'll definitely see that the most popular books in December have themselves a significant raise in sales and luckily our beloved Justice League got to see some of that moolah because this book should never sell as poorly as it did in November.
6. Harley Quinn #23 $3.99 69,168 58,344
What's the Holiday Season without buying everyone you know some Harley? Real nice jump in sales there, I just hope that DC doesn't see this and say we need three more Harley books because of it.
7. Justice League of America #6 $3.99 55,410 52,604
It looks like we'll be staying in the mid fifty thousands with this book because not even a terrible one shot with Martian Manhunter and a huge delay could turn people off of this book.
8. Batman: Europa #2 $4.99 52,235 80,721
It seems that while this series started strong, I think people are getting a little tired of the Dark Knight's vacation in Europe with his best buddy Joker.
9. Batman: Europa #3 $4.99 49,474 52,235
10. Superman #47 $3.99 47,377 41,657
I'll never stopped being shocked that Superman is the best selling book of the many Superman titles because from everything that I've seen for the past seven months, it's really the weakest when it comes to story.
11. Detective Comics #47 $3.99 45,867 47,256
I hate seeing this book go down in sales because I really have faith in Tomasi to tell some awesome stories........ he just keeps getting fucked out of telling them. Hopefully after issue #50 everyone can back to business as usual and we'll see a boom in bad ass story telling from all of our books.
12. Green Lantern #47 $3.99 45,706 38,976
Hal being back on Earth might be just what this series needed to get readers to come back.
13. Robin War #1 $4.99 45,058
I'm actually shocked that this issue didn't do better than this because everywhere I went I saw and heard people talking about this event and how awesome this issue was.
14. Flash #47 $3.99 42,129 36,153
15. Batman and Robin Eternal #9 $2.99 41,943 42,763
16. Batman and Robin Eternal #10 $2.99 41,505 41,943
17. Batman and Robin Eternal #11 $2.99 40,557 41,505
18. Batman and Robin Eternal #12 $2.99 40,297 40,557
19. Wonder Woman #47 $3.99 40,123 34,042
This is a perfect example for people getting all hero happy during the holidays because I have no idea how this issue brought readers back on board.
20. Batman and Robin Eternal #13 $2.99 39,613 40,297
We've seen this with every weekly book that DC's put out, with the sales dropping steadily each issue.......... I just didn't think that they'd drop this far.
21. Grayson #15 $3.99 35,765 31,831
Like Robin War #1, this is another book that people were going ga-ga for and even though we had a boost in sales........ I really thought that they'd be higher than this.
22. Robin: Son of Batman #7 $3.99 34,815 35,633
23. Justice League: DW: Lex Luthor $3.99 32,226
24. Harley Quinn & Power Girl #6 $3.99 31,375 34,127
25. Superman: American Alien #2 $3.99 31,025 41,441
This is just a shame because with everything that's going down with Superman and all his titles since the Truth began, this book has to be the best Superman title being put out right now. It's just too bad that the sales don't reflect that.
26. Green Arrow #47 $2.99 30,834 24,393
People had to be in the forgiving spirit for the Holidays for this one because I have no idea how this book got more readers than it had.
27. Batman/Superman #27 $3.99 30,021 38,056
28. Action Comics #47 $3.99 29,021 35,569
It might just be a personal thing for me, but in my mind Action Comics should never be selling this poorly.
29. Superman Annual #3 $4.99 28,802
30. We Are Robin #7 $3.99 28,181 19,210
I really hope that this series can rebound from these numbers because I love it so much and after what we saw in the Robin War, I want to see what our Midtown Robins will do next and what Alfred is really up to.
31. Batgirl #46 $2.99 27,591 29,276
That's right Batgirl............. you've outstayed your welcome and even though titles I love are selling worse than you.......... well, I just don't like you and I want something different. Looking at the numbers, it appears that I'm not alone.
32. Teen Titans #15 $2.99 27,201 26,239
33. New Suicide Squad #15 $2.99 26,449 32,925
This is crazy! Here we have a month showing big booms in sales for a whole lot of titles and yet one of the most consistent selling books takes a huge dive. Just crazy.
34. Teen Titans #14 $2.99 26,239 26,511
35. Red Hood/Arsenal #7 $2.99 25,789 19,857
Damn, I guess people aren't ready to give Joker's Daughter another try after all.
36. Deathstroke #13 $2.99 25,344 31,939
Like Suicide Squad, Deathstroke is one of those very steady selling books and maybe we can chalk it up to the holidays, where people aren't into seeing destruction and mayhem.
37. Superman/Wonder Woman #24 $3.99 25,000 31,315
38. Cyborg #5 $2.99 23,618 25,926
39. Gotham Academy #13 $2.99 22,947 15,865
40. Superman/Wonder Woman Annual #2 $4.99 22,414
41. Batman Beyond #7 $2.99 21,946 27,778
A lot of people are bailing on this book and while some of it I can see is because we have a bunch of Batman Beyond purists not liking the new direction, but another factor has got to be that we don't really have a solid direction in story.
42. Black Canary #6 $2.99 21,666 22,215
43. Superman: Lois and Clark #3 $3.99 21,630 22,898
Like American Alien, being only that they're both good Superman books because that other title is a different animal completely, this is a title that should be doing way better than it is because it's just a joy to read........ especially with what's been going on with our Earth-0 Superman.
44. Starfire #7 $2.99 21,250 27,941
45. Earth 2: Society #7 $2.99 21,059 21,948
Damn, those Earth 2 fans just don't give up.
46. Titans Hunt #3 $3.99 20,918 22,466
I'm finally on this series' trolley and because of that......... I fully expect this book to do better..... yup, I'm just that powerful.
47. Aquaman #47 $3.99 20,251 25,962
48. Constantine: The Hellblazer #7 $2.99 18,601 19,328
49. Cyborg #6 $2.99 17,864 23,618
50. Sinestro #18 $2.99 17,189 22,331
This is also a shame because this is the best Lanterns title that we've got right now and apparently no one wants to read it............ I'm one to talk though because I don't think I've reviewed this for two issues.
51. Batman: Arkham Knight Genesis #5 $2.99 16,730 18,843
52. Justice League United #16 $3.99 16,665 17,721
53. Martian Manhunter #7 $2.99 15,962 17,038
If you fools let Martian Manhunter get canceled, I'm going to really upset....... yeah, I'm not about to go around and make threats or anything like that.......... I'll just be really upset is all.
54. Gotham Academy #12 $2.99 15,865 16,560
55. Catwoman #47 $2.99 15,038 21,661
56. Secret Six #9 $2.99 14,663 15,375
57. Justice League 3001 #7 $2.99 13,979 14,659
58. Doctor Fate #7 $2.99 11,954 13,090
Apparently, the Doctor isn't in.
59. Gotham By Midnight #12 $2.99 11,695 10,816
60. Midnighter #7 $2.99 11,267 12,186
Go Away Midnighter!
61. Gotham By Midnight #11 $2.99 12,186 12,932
62. Lobo #13 $2.99 9,955 10,382
63. Telos #3 $2.99 9,619 11,202
Wow, only three issues in and nobody wants to read this book. This has got to be the fastest crashing main DC book that I've ever seen.
64. Omega Men #7 $2.99 9,251 9,709
65. All Star Section 8 #6 $2.99 8,995 9,787
66. Prez #6 $2.99 7,716 8,098
Now I'm sure that DC has gone and paid for all the work on the second tier of this series with issues #7-#12........ but damn does it look like no one wants to read them.
So yeah, while we saw a bunch of our main heroes from the Justice League roster getting a boost in sales for the first time in a long time, it might be that some of the readers from the less popular books were dropping those and getting on board with the big boys. I like it though because I'm looking forward to 2016 being the year of DC Comics and finishing out last year that strong is a good omen in my mind for how the rest of this year will look.